Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Got it Right

In the midst of juggling a career, a family, and a dissertation, there are many days when I get it wrong. The balance is off, and I go to bed vowing to do better tomorrow. Often, I feel like I missed a moment--let my mind be somewhere else.

Yesterday, though, yesterday, I got it right. I had a productive day in terms of work, writing, and housework. I picked Issa up and we headed to the optometrist, and she was sad to know she doesn't need glasses. (I want to capture that because they are coming...and they will be followed by the "I don't want glasses" years.)

We finished early, and we picked Evan up early. We went to the library, got our books, and talked about how it was spring in January--the sun was shining and it was 65. Instead of coming home, we went to McDonald's. We got milkshakes, and I sat and really watched the kids play in the Playland. We had the place to ourselves, and I saw how big my kids are getting. Issa climbed all the way to the top and made it down without needing to be rescued. Evan attempted to make it to the top, and I rescued him. I listened to them laugh and watched them climb. I really saw them, and my heart was happy. My mind was there, and all was right with the world.

Here's to another day of getting it right...

No comments:

Post a Comment