Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Planes versus Roses

This little guy was my date for the Rose Parade yesterday:
He was enthralled:

Look! Airplanes!

He watched the floats so intently:

When the bands came on, he would march around the room. When the horses came on, he galloped around the room. Occasionally, he would land in my lap and snuggle, and occasionally I would lose an eardrum to shouts of "Plane!" or "Train!" or "Dinosaurs!"


It's funny. In the past, the Rose Parade has been about the flowers. How did they create that float? What flowers make the best water? How did they make that fur really move? This year, I saw the floats through new eyes. They were planes and trains and dinosaurs--larger than life and rolling down the parade route. It was magic. I forgot how they were made and got caught up in the wonder. It's funny how kids--especially little boys--can do that to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment