Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wondrous, Wondrous Thing

I just walked back through the door from Issa's pediatric dental consult. In December, Issa got he first dental x-rays, and we discovered she had several small pre-cavities where her back teeth were rubbing together. Our dentist suggested we see a pediatric dentist, but the one she referred us to was not in our insurance network.

Enter mommy panic. I spent hours researching pediatric dentists in our network, and I finally made an appointment after agonizing over the decision. Should we just bite the bullet and pay the higher fees at the dentist we were referred to originally? Am I really taking my daughter to see someone based on a website and one phone call? She loves the dentist. Will this ruin that? Yes...I may have worked myself up into a state.

This morning, Issa and I headed to see Dr. Crisp. She was calm as a cucumber; I was an internal disaster with a smile on my face. From the moment we walked in the door, my anxiety kept falling. We were greeted by smiles and a huge fish tank. We met Miss Kimberly, Issa's "person." She will always be with Issa while we are there. Issa played games while we waited in the exam room, and then Dr. Crisp danced in, talking to Issa like I was an after thought--just as it should be. She noticed Issa's feather immediately, and they talked about that first. Issa was thrilled. After an exam, Miss Kimberly and Issa left to find a prize and play some games while Dr. Crisp and I agreed on a plan.

The plan is simple, and it is based on keeping Issa comfortable and calm. I have every confidence that her teeth will be fine, but I also trust them to take good care of all of her. She was elated by her visit and is still calm about the next one. She loves having a "person" at the dentist, and I'm thrilled that the "person" is another mama. In fact, Dr. Crisp only hires mamas, because only mamas know what nervous babies need. Yes...we are in the right place, and this mama's heart feels a lot more peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment