Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cruel Trick

I really try to keep the blog positive and to not whine here. But, I also want to keep this place honest, and I'm hoping that if I write it, I might remember it next summer...

I am tired. Bone weary, mind numbingly, tired. As I was planning the summer, I planned my course around Issa's camp schedule, aligning major assignments (and the grading that follows) with the weeks she was in camps. Dumbest. Decision. Ever.

I envisioned camp weeks of days with uninterrupted grading time. Quiet weeks of the house to myself when I could curl up and grade for hours on end. I was delusional.

Camp weeks mean an hour round trip, twice a day, to drop off Issa. They mean packing and unpacking backpacks and lunches every day, and although Issa does her backpack on her own, we've already had the lunch discussion. It means a very tired kiddo in the afternoons who needs a little extra cuddling and some time on Google finding out more about what she talked about at camp. That is a great thing, but I'm tired. I don't really care how often owls need to get their feet wet to stay cool and why that helps more than anything else. By the time you add up all the time I spend on camp "stuff" I think I actually lose time this week.

But...I still have to grade, and my laundry is breeding when I'm not looking, and my family still insists that they need to eat every day, and this is the only week when I can schedule meetings and appointments that I don't want to take Issa to. I'm up later every night just trying to survive. The end result: I'm tired.

And now...time to move the laundry and start grading before I run the car to get a new light and get Issa at camp. Bring on the coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment