Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summer Fun...Mostly

Yesterday was a day full of summer...even if I hadn't really planned it that way. Issa and I started our morning by making sweet pickles. We had four pounds of cucumbers to use up, and this seemed like a great plan. Our first solo canning mission was a huge success!

I cut the cucumbers into spears, and Issa cut them in half to fit in the jars:
 She is becoming more and more helpful in the kitchen. She did the sauce mostly on her own:
 I read the recipe, but she did the measuring and stirring. She also put the spears into the jars:
 Something about this shot just makes me blissfully happy:
 We have decided there is something insanely satisfying about the ping of a sealing jar:
 After I cleaned up the canning kitchen, Issa invited Briana over to play. Since it was one million degrees in the middle of  a week day, they decided to set up a lemonade stand. Just as we were talking about how they would "purchase" the supplies from me for their business, I noticed this:
 And then this:
 And then I realized somehow it had eluded me that when I let Viv in she looked more like an Irish setter than a shepherd. So...the girls helped me give her a bath to earn the supplies. There are no pictures. There are no words. Two small, squealing girls, one unhappy dog, and me in one small bathroom trying to rid fur of red clay. I do not recommend it.

But...they earned the supplies and set up shop.
Who wouldn't buy lemonade here? They each made $2, and they thought they were millionaires. That is what I call a day full or summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment