Tuesday, July 10, 2012

On Lunches

I'm still living on the sun, so we've been taking it easy, which means I don't have any great tales to tell. I do have a lunch to pack this week, though. Issa is at camp, which means she needs lunch--a lunch that has become the bane of my existence.

I dread packing Issa's lunch. It's a negotiation, and I always imagine the slightly horrified look on her teachers' faces when she opens that box. I imagine they wonder about this mother who let this lunch appear and question whether I know how to prepare a meal that actually goes together. I really do, but I live with Issa, who is not picky except when it comes to normal things children eat. Other people's children will eat soft bread, and they happily pack sandwiches and roll on. I am not so lucky.

Lunch yesterday: strawberry banana yogurt, hummus, red pepper strips, and pretzels. In my world, that doesn't so much go together. The hummus and peppers--sure. Throw in the yogurt, though, and it gets a little iffy.

Lunch today: strawberry banana yogurt, ham, pretzels, a cucumber, and a clementine. Yes...plain ham in a tupperware. Yes...a whole baby cucumber just thrown in the box. I would happily cut it--like normal people do--but Issa likes to eat them like a banana.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I am grateful that she makes healthy choices, but just once I would love to slap a sandwich in there and feel a little more normal. A mama can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment