Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mindful Breathing

Because Issa's legs are so long, her ballet teacher is worried about her muscles tightening up as she grows. As Issa has declared dance her "thing," and her teacher believes she has some real natural talent, she recommended that we start stretching more with Issa in order to develop the habit now while she is super bendy and could prevent her legs from tightening up. It has been a great excuse for me to go back to a yoga practice. Each night, the kids and I have started doing a simple practice, and I forgot how much I missed it.

Although it may be difficult to focus on breathing with two little ones, and it's slightly less relaxing with Evan falling out of tree pose every two seconds, it is really good for all of us. I had forgotten how much breathing helps life...and I found myself breathing a lot yesterday. Like when Issa picked up every. single. egg. in the carton to be sure there were no cracks. It was a five minute ordeal. Just breathe.

Or this:
Issa now makes her own lunch start to finish. What should be a two minute warm up of left-overs becomes a fifteen minute preparation with chairs being pulled all over my kitchen. Just breathe. I have a feeling that will get us through a lot in the coming years. Math homework. Just breathe. Another negotiation about what to wear. Just breathe. Girl drama. Just breathe. Maybe I should paint that above my kitchen door.

Just breathe.


No comments:

Post a Comment