Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Issa's Year in Review

I finally finished Issa's pictorial Year in Review. While the pictures tell a lot of the story, there is so much more that I want Issa to know about this year. So, following tradition, here is the narrative year in review...

My, dear, sweet, baby girl,

I finished your year in review, and once again, there is so very much I want you to know about this past year. A few memories from your mother...

First, you are getting so very big. When I did these reviews when you were a baby and toddler, I was prepared to see the growth. I boxed up enough clothes in those years that I knew to be braced to see my baby growing before my eyes. This year, it snuck up on me. You went from a little girl to a big girl over the course of a few photographs. Your baby face has completely disappeared, and I am left with a big first grader, a beautiful big girl with earnest, sparkling blue eyes and a few less teeth.

You also have completely abandoned the stage where I can dress you in whatever I like. You have your own sense of style and taste. Doing your hair is a negotiation ranging from "flat flat" to more ponytails than any one girl should wear. You adopted your first fad with a series of feathers in your hair, and your clothing must sparkle. Period. These negotiations exhaust me sometimes. Occasionally, I miss my baby in ruffles and hair bows. But, sweetheart, I love that you have the confidence to wear what you like. I love that you have some flair and pizazz. You make me proud and more confident myself. And remember...invest in quality accessories. They are worth it.

Your flair doesn't end with your style, though. Good grief, you have a flare for the dramatic! The pictures of you talking with your hands--that's every day. I have lost track of the number of times you have had the "best day of my life" only to have me "ruin my life" a few moments later. I am sure this is just the beginning. Every time you say that, I reply, "Get used to it. It's my job." Well, babe, it is my job. It is my job to make sure you don't lose your ever loving mind. It is my job to make sure you are safe. As you get older, I am quite certain we will disagree about what "safe" and "reasonable" mean. Just know, I really don't try to make you miserable, but I will if I have to because I love you that much.

Over the course of this year, you somehow became a reader. I remember sitting beside you as you painstakingly sounded out every letter. Reading a book took a lot of time, and at times it was painful for both of us. Then, one day, I heard you reading to your brother. Really reading. We have caught you reading in bed when you are supposed to be sleeping, and I often see you curled up in the chaise with a chapter book--a chapter book!--reading to yourself. You love books, and I pray you never lose that love. You are never really alone if you have a book. Keep one in your purse. You will thank me someday.

This was a year of many firsts. You went to your first summer camps, and you went to your first big school. You were so brave. I was always prepared to hang around a bit at drop off, but you barely hugged me goodbye. You were off to new adventures. I bit my lip and smiled, but please know every first day I got to my car I sobbed. You are growing so quickly, and I know that every time you venture out on these little excursions you are one step closer to stepping out on your own. I am so proud of the person you are becoming, and I am so proud of you for embracing every adventure for just that, an adventure. You are going places, baby girl. Thank you for letting me tag along for the ride.

With new adventures come new friends, and I have loved getting to know your friends this year. The summer was filled with giggles and squeals and a houseful of girls. You are such a good friend, and I am so grateful for that. As you get older, I have no doubt there will be some fall outs. Some of these friends will come and go as you all grow. Just remember, one true friend is worth the world. She is worth fighting with and for.

Even as a write that advice, I know you probably don't need it. Your heart is so big, and you are the most empathetic child I have ever known. I know I complain every time we go shopping for a birthday gift because oh the humanity of wandering the shelves for what feels like hours. But sweetheart, I am so proud that you know your friends so well that you want to find just the perfect gift for each. I also love listening to you talk with your friends. I have seen you comfort a crying friend, and my heart swells just a bit bigger.

I have also seen you be the very best big sister a boy could ask for. You and Evan are thick as thieves, and I pray that never changes. Even when you squabble, as soon as I threaten to separate the two of you, you are back to begging to play together. Let me let you in on a little secret: I know you get back out of bed every night to go tell Evan goodnight one more time. I hear you two whispering, and I hear your little footsteps on his ladder. I wouldn't change that for the world, though.

As close as you and Evan are, though, you and your daddy are inseparable. When I look at the pictures of the two of you, my heart melts. There are no words for that...

Sweet angel, Daddy and I both love you more than the moon and the sun and the stars. I am so very, very proud of the person you are and the person you are becoming. Thank you for letting me be on this adventure with you, and know I will always be right behind you. I'm your biggest fan and your biggest cheerleader...always have been...always will be. You are my Issa Bug, and you have a very big piece of my heart with you everywhere you go.

Love forever and always,

Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment