Monday, November 12, 2012

Unicorns, Baby!

Kelle Hampton, a blogger and author I read regularly, likens parenting to writing our children's story books. Every memory is a page. It's a metaphor I instantly fell in love with, and I want our kiddos to have fairytale story books--complete with unicorns and rainbows.
 
Brad constantly reminds me that not every day needs to be a fairytale, but I firmly believe every week should have at least one unicorn. Last week, with the coughing crud hitting our house hard, the story was more of survival. It was the part of the fairytale where the prince is just riding along--not even hacking through thistles--just riding along.
 
By Friday, I was in dire need of a unicorn. So, we decided to make turkey pizzas in honor of Thanksgiving. Not pizzas with turkey on top. Oh no. Pizzas shaped like turkeys.
 
I had my own two turkeys to help:
 See...these crusts are turkeys.
 Sure, they may look a bit like hands. But isn't that how we all learned to draw a turkey?
 Perhaps the toppings make it look more like a turkey:
 Maybe not. Per usual, this was one of those unicorns that was a lot more glittery in my head. But...we did laugh until we cried. And they were tasty. And if you squint and tip your head a little to the right they really do look like turkeys.

Saturday morning, Steph, Torre, and Ryan came over for breakfast. Torre was back in town visiting, and although it had been months since we were all together, it felt like yesterday. Issa introduced them to Hrme, and we all played in the front yard. Really, I sat and watched in gratitude. I will be forever grateful to these people that love my  children so fiercely and who are willing to roll down the hill with our kids. They are true friends in every sense of the word.

Saturday night, the kids and Daddy decided to bake cookies, which required a wardrobe change for Issa:
 These two should really open their own bakery:
Yesterday, we enjoyed the warmer weather by working in the yard. I mowed while the kids played sidewalk chalk. Then, these two kids became little people. Like actual helpful little people. I cut the butterfly bushes way back, and they pretended they were giants as the hauled the branches to the curb. We raked, and they jumped in piles. (They also refused to let me take pictures--punks.) Then, they loaded the leaves in the wheelbarrow and pushed it to the curb. I forget that when you are little this is the most fun ever! We closed the pond, and we gathered kindling for the next fire. It was blissful.

Today, Evan is off at school and Issa and I have big plans to hit the craft store to pick up some supplies for Christmas gifts. I am excited, but I am also a bit afeared. Issa in a craft store is a bit like most children in a candy shop. Pray for me. But...it's a unicorn, baby, and I'm all about unicorns!

No comments:

Post a Comment