Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Magic in the Tough Stuff

So...this parenting thing is not for the weak of heart...or the short of patience. Yesterday was just one of those days. Issa had her annual physical yesterday morning, which went swimmingly. She is tall, lean, and healthy. I don't take that last part lightly; I am grateful every day that I have healthy children.

While Issa loves our doctor, it did set her world a little atilt since she got to school a bit late. She missed morning meeting and a little bit of math. No big deal...until homework time. Issa did the whole first side of her worksheet in two minutes. No problem. She turned it over, and burst into tears. Here is when I about lost it. They were the exact same kind of problems she just flew through--exactly. But, she remembered she hadn't heard her teacher read the directions and, "This problem is hard because it's about pumpkins." Shoot me now. I did my best teaching and remembered why I don't home school. I have way more patience with other people's children--especially when mine is being absurd.

We finally finished the homework, picked up Evan, and we all headed to ballet. Then there was the "Please just eat your dinners," and the "For the love of all that's good and holy please just pick a pair of pajamas." Brad is traveling, so I was on my own in this mission. By the time they were in bed, I was just too tired to breathe.

But...in the midst of all this chaos...there were moments. On the way to ballet, as we sat in traffic, Evan announced, "My teacher has Santa's phone number!" I looked in the rear view to see sparkling eyes and his proud little smile that only comes out when he's truly excited and a little smug about something, the one where the corners of his mouth pull down a little and his bottom lip tucks in. I love Christmas magic.

And then, as I was tucking Issa in bed, I looked at her board. Under what she wrote yesterday, she added, "It is Jesus tim." I must have lit up, because she said, "I wanted to add birthday time but I ran out of room." Be still my heart. Thank you for the reminder, sweet angel.

I determined this morning would be less chaotic, and it was. The kids were happy because Daddy gets home today, and they were anxious to get to Issa's school to pick ornaments off of the angel tree. Yes, my children understand what Christmas is about.

However, just to prove that I need Daddy home, we did have a moment. He called as were driving to school. At first, I couldn't believe he would call when he knew we would be in the car. Then, I realized the bus was running really late as I was sitting behind it. Then, I realized we had left ten minutes too early because I had a moment. So, we talked to Daddy in the parking lot and picked ornaments as soon as the school doors opened.

Yep...this parenting thing is tough, but I do love the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment