Thursday, November 15, 2012

Team

There is a reason, in an ideal world, parents come in teams, and I am so very, very lucky that I have the best teammate on the planet.

Last night was one of those nights in our house. Any one who has kids or has been around kids a lot knows exactly what I mean. The kids were tired, recovering from the coughing crud that will just not go away. It was a perfect storm. They were on the edge all night--Jekyll and Hyde--rocking between giggles and real tears seamlessly.

We both worked from home yesterday, and we saw the storm start when we were doing homework with Issa. I started, the way we always do, but she crumbled over math she knows how to do. She decided she wanted to do it all in her head instead of use any kind of problem solving strategies, which is just dumb. The teacher in me tried to coach and prod and assure her that using the strategies is what shows your teacher how smart you are because it shows you know how to think. The mom in me wanted to scream, "Just do your bloddy homework!" The teacher part won, thankfully. She whined and got teary and as we finished the worksheet, Brad tagged in for spelling because Wednesday means writing sentences and that can be tense on a good day. (Five words in three sentences is not difficult unless you are Issa and want the three sentences to tell a story and contain twelve phrases. I hate Wednesday spelling.) By the time spelling was finished, there were real tears and a break needed before she could read. But...we had done it. Our team. We had tagged in and out and shot each other the "What the hell" look that makes us giggle so we don't cry or scream or generally lose it.

It was about this point that I realized I had forgotten to put the ever loving chicken in the oven to roast. We decided on a plan b from the freezer, and I headed out to get Evan before I started said plan b.

He had a great day at school, but then he fell apart in the van because Issa got to see Daddy first. Yes...Jekyll and Hyde part two was in the car seat. We made it home, and I shot Brad the look that means brace yourself. I am so glad we have this lexicon of looks. It was at about that point that someone melted because something happened. I honestly don't remember. I just know it caused the other to cry because the sibling was sad and oh the humanity of that moment.

Our team knows when to throw in the towel. Order pizza. Bathe children while we wait for it. Early bed time. We tag teamed. Putting out the most pressing fires. Laughing so we didn't cry or scream.

The pizza came. We ate. Children chilled out. We got some good snuggle time, and a little bit of order was restored.

At one point in the evening, Evan announced, "Don't snuggle me until I get back." Oh, sweet boy, I think I can manage that one. And somehow, that sort of summed up the night. We got basically happy children into bed, and our sane children emerged from beds this morning ready for a new day...same team, though. I think I'll keep him.

No comments:

Post a Comment