Friday, January 4, 2013

Never, ever, ever...

...getting back together!

Thank you Taylor Swift. Issa received Red for Christmas, and it's her current soundtrack for life. She walks around singing mostly correct lyrics, and she is one very happy girl. The album itself now lives in the van cd player.

The ride to school used to be filled with chatter about the day and spelling word practice. 2013 has ushered in a new routine.

I shut the van door.

"Mom, track 8. Time to rock."

I dutifully shuffle to the correct song, and we both sing "Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together" as loudly as possible. I am sad to say I now know all the words, and Issa is quite impressed by my ability to perfectly mimic Taylor's "like, never" line. I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed. I do know that we are usually giggling as I park the van. There are worse ways to start the day and launch her into a day at school.

The new routine had me a bit torn, though. I actually like the album and Taylor. I certainly don't mind my daughter listening to lyrics about a girl kicking a jerk to the curb once and for all. There are worse messages out there. But, there is a part of me that misses the little girl chatter that has been replaced by an album. My little girl is growing up too quickly.

Just because she is growing up, though, does not mean she is growing away. I have to keep reminded myself of that. What it does mean is that I have to grow as a mom, too. The nursery songs are being replaced by songs from the radio, but it's just as important that I learn the words, the artists. I'm still singing with my baby girl...it's just a different tune. I have a feeling that will be a theme for the next decade...singing together as the melodies change. There may be times when I am singing harmony, but we'll still be singing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment