Friday, August 30, 2013

The Fun Part

I have been pretty honest that life at work has been brutal the past few weeks. Trying to settle in to a new old position, start a semester, and reshape a program is a bit much. Throw in 83 girls and a graduate class that is shaping up to be a tough group to teach and I've been a bit--something. I don't really have a word for it. Not overwhelmed. Not unhappy. Just...ugh. I think that's about it.

Last night, though, last night was anything but ugh. We had our committee supper last night, and I challenged my girls to raise the bar for themselves. I had met with previous chairs about sharing leadership and doing more than meeting. Last spring, there was nary a committee meeting--much less an event. It was pitiful.

If last night was any indication, though, we are in for one hell of a year in the best possible way. A senior lead a campaign to Wear Red for Ed last night, a symbol of unity with the profession. We jumped through all the hoops here, and their picture is already on the state campaign page...it was by 8:00 last night. As if that wasn't enough, they talked about how that was nice but they needed to do more. They are discussing ways to effectively advocate to the legislature, and I couldn't be more proud.

The service committee decided fundraising was right out--that's  not real service. Instead, they are working on plans to get truly involved with a group of girls at a local outreach center. They have set the bar high, and the groundwork is being laid to follow through.

The recruitment committee is talking about more than recruiting for our program. They want to show high school students that teachers are valuable and necessary. They are stepping up to the challenge of recruiting the best to be part of their profession.

Even the social committee is planning events that will help publicize the work of teachers in fun and new ways. They are way more creative than I am, and I can't wait to see what they do.

Our communications committee is embracing all of these ideas and developing ways to spread the word about the work being done on our campus and in classrooms. I watched them share leadership and ownership and build accountability structures for actually doing the work.

Through it all, I watched girls laugh and build relationships. I saw my freshmen become part of teams and assume ownership for the work. They were one group driving toward a common goal, and I couldn't be more proud or more excited about what this year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment