Friday, July 24, 2015

A Lifetime Ago

In what feels like a lifetime ago and what was several jobs ago, I was a high school English teacher. I truly believed that was where I would be until I retired--in a classroom with high school students writing and reading and growing together. I loved it. And while I don't regret moving in to other realms--still writing, reading, and growing--there are days I really miss the classroom and my freshmen. I miss their quirkiness and seeing the light bulbs when they discover a book they love. I miss seeing them get connected to characters and each other. Part of my heart will always be there.

I have found myself really missing it this week. I've been reading Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee, and I find myself wishing I could go back and teach my To Kill a Mockingbird unit again and add this novel. (Spoilers coming) While I will never understand why she killed off Jem so subtly, I am finding myself believing these characters' stories. Yes, they are messier, but Scout is older. The world is real, and I would love to enter into that world with a bunch of 15 year olds who are just discovering the bigger world themselves. I guess some parts of us stay deeply nestled inside no matter how far we roam...

No comments:

Post a Comment