Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I'm a Mechanic!

I'm a mechanic! Okay. That might be a bit of an overstatement, but I'm absurdly proud of myself.

I was mowing the grass yesterday, and the mower just shut down. Now...this is a 10 year old mower, so it's a bit temperamental. I tried the usual: emptied the bag, checked the gas, checked the oil. All fine. Not good. Then I realized not only had it shut down but the cord also wouldn't pull at all. This was new.

Brad wasn't home, and calling him to try to diagnose over the phone seemed ridiculous. I also didn't want to wait for him because I can't stand a job half finished. So...I turned to the trusty Google!

Thankfully, Toro has a great site! As it turns out, the diagnosis was likely something jamming up the blade. All I had to do was unplug the spark plug, tip the mower, and then clear the jam. (I did learn that if you don't unplug the spark plug and then try to move the blade you can actually start the mower. So glad that was in big, bold print! Not a lesson to learn the hard way.)

Sure enough, the mower started right up and I finished the job. Sometimes it's the little victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment