Friday, July 8, 2011

Bag Lady

Given the amount of bags hanging from my banister, you would think that we took a road trip yesterday. We did not. We went to get a hair cut.

We actually have this hair cut thing down to a science. I pack three bags: diaper bag, Issa's bag, and Evan's bag. The kids' bags have toys and snacks, and the diaper bag has all other essentials. I teeter my way to the van with all of these bags, and here we go! I pick the kids up, and the three of us meet Daddy at Miss Kelly's.


Miss Kelly is our hero. She does all four of hair cuts in just under an hour--and they look great! The kids go first, and then they eat a snack and play a bit. Kelly has been doing my hair since before Issa was born, so they feel so at home at the shop and everyone knows and fusses over them.


Last night, we added another layer of perfection. Brad goes after the kids, and then he and the kids go to pick up dinner. Here is the bliss in this: I get to have my hair cut without answering children's questions or opening juice boxes. I have a few quiet moments to chat with Kelly and then come home to a waiting dinner. Yep...hair cut perfection.


As I am finishing this post, I realize I might border on neurotic. I have systems for everything--even hair cuts. The ed psych professor in me wants to justify the systems through schema and paradigms. And, there probably is some truth to that. In reality, I think I develop the systems to get it all done and keep my sanity. Do we really need three bags to get our hair cut--probably not. But...they do keep everyone occupied and happy, and the kids look forward to seeing what I packed this time. At the end of the day, the systems maintain order and help me stay mentally and physically organized. When I'm getting pulled in so many directions every day, I need that. This weekend, though, I might try to let go of the systems for a couple of days. Maybe. That sounds a little like inviting in chaos...or inviting in creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment