Friday, July 29, 2011

Just Fix It

God knew Issa and I needed to see this bloom yesterday. Our glads may be a bit late blooming, but in our world, it was perfect timing.

We received a huge packet from Issa's new school yesterday! It had her class list, handbook, and a mountain of forms I'm still digging through. Issa and I were talking about how she only had two more weeks at her school and then she got to make the move, and she crumbled. Crumbled really isn't the word--shattered. Suddenly, my very excited girl was sobbing. The kind of sobs that shook her whole little body and wouldn't let her speak. I scooped her up and tried to figure out what on earth had just happened.

The inevitable had happened. Her excitement was replaced by fear and uncertainty. She's been at her current school since she was six weeks old. Several of her friends have been there the entire time with her, and now they are all moving on to bigger worlds. The familiar is being replaced by the unfamiliar and frightening.

When the sobs slowed, we were able to talk, and she's excited again. We talked about how her memories will always be with her, and she'll get to see a lot of people when we pick Evan up. We also bought the glad bulbs in a school fundraiser, so we talked about how we will have those blooms every year to remind her of her years there.

She is back to bouncing off the walls excited about her new school, but I'm sure there will be more waves of uncertainty--if not now over the next several years with other new adventures. I'm trying to brace my heart for those. Once she was fine yesterday, I cried. There is no worse feeling than seeing your child so broken hearted and feeling so helpless. I know there will be far bigger heart breaks in the future, and I just hate that I won't be able to just fix it. But...we did fix this one, and we are all so excited for the adventures that are about to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment