Monday, July 18, 2011

Not for the Faint of Heart

We have taken to grilling whole chickens these days. By "we" I mean Brad, and by "these days" I mean the past two weeks. The first time we literally just put the whole chicken on the grill. It was great, but it took a loooong time. The second time, Brad split it in half. It was delicious and took not as long. Yesterday, Brad decided to totally debone the chicken. He watched Jacques Pepin do it online, and off he went!

It started very simply with one long cut across the back and few little cuts around the keel bone:
This is where it gets a little dicey and not for the faint of heart. He literally just ripped the bones out. The meat just peeled off. I particularly love Issa's reaction:

The meat is then scraped from the leg bones:


Then, again, not for the faint of heart, you break the tips of the leg bones and slip the rest of the bone out. Leaving the tips keeps the skin from shrinking too much:

Evan was just not so sure about this whole process:


But the finished product was impressive:


I have to hand it to my husband. When he announced he was going to attempt this, I thought he was crazy. I watched the video, and I promptly announced there is no way it was that easy. Sure, Jacques did the whole thing in three minutes, but it only took Brad about 15--pretty impressive! Even after all these years he finds new ways to amaze me!











No comments:

Post a Comment