Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Trip to Bath

In college, I spent a summer semester in Oxford. I essentially ate my way through England--especially the teas. The thought of clotted cream and tiny sandwiches...mmmmm. By far, the best tea is in Bath at Sally Lunn's. It's a tiny tea house that has been in existence as long as Bath has been a destination. They still bake their buns in a huge wood burning stone oven in the cellar, and after tea you can go down and see them making buns the size of your head. Bliss.

I brought home a postcard that featured the recipe for their buns. When I arrived home, I realized it was in metric and featured the baking time for their oven. Since I do not have a huge stone oven in my cellar, I gave up having the perfect bun until I someday returned.

What I did not realize is I am married to a wizard. Last night, he stumbled upon a recipe for Sally Lunn buns, tweaked it based on my memory, and he made the perfect Sally Lunn bun.
Evan decided he wanted to help, and he was in charge of beating the egg.


He was so proud of his emerging culinary skill.


We invested in a really good bread maker a couple of years ago, and it is wonderful! It did the mixing, kneading, and rising, and then Brad shaped it and baked it in our oven.


I would show you the finished product, but it did not survive the night. Bliss, I tell you. Now...I'm on a mission to find clotted cream before Brad makes the next bun.








No comments:

Post a Comment