Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of First Grade!

We sent a very excited Issa off to school today! When I asked for a first grade pose, this is what I got:
 For the traditionalist:
 And the traditional "I'm so done with pictures, Mom," pose:
 Her backpack was filled with all the supplies and paperwork, and she packed make your own bagel pizza for lunch.

Last week, Daddy brought Issa and I back matching bracelets, and we decided to wear them today:
We promised to think of each other every time we see them, and I reminded her that every time she sees it I am thinking of her. I think they were more for me than her. She was so excited, and walked into her classroom without a backward glance. I couldn't be more proud of my girl.

She asked me to curl her hair this morning, and as I curled we had a conversation I plan to have every first day of school...

"Issa, we don't send you to school the smartest or the best at anything. We already think you are the smartest, most wonderful girl in the world. Nothing could change that, and we couldn't love you more or be any more proud of you."

"I know, Mom; you send me to school to learn things."

"Yes. We send you to learn. You'll learn math and science and reading, but we send you to learn how to learn, how to keep trying when things get tricky, and we send you to learn to be empathetic. That means we want you to feel what other people feel and do something about it. When one of your classmates is celebrating, we want you to be her biggest cheerleader! When one of your classmates is sad or lonely, we want you to feel it and do something. Sometimes that will be easy, like asking a friend to play at recess. Sometimes it will be hard, like remembering that kid is being mean because he is probably scared or lonely. When it gets too hard, tell your teacher or tell me, and we'll make a plan together.

You love the Lorax, and when he says 'Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is ever going to get better--it is not,' he's talking about more than the trees. He's talking about people, too, and we need to take care of them. It's who we are.

You are going to have so many wonderful adventures this year, and I will be there for every single one. I'm your biggest fan, and I love you more than the sun and the moon and the stars, baby girl. Happy first day or first grade..."

No comments:

Post a Comment