Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Shiny and New

It's funny how life comes full circle...

Yesterday, I met with my first student teacher as a university supervisor. I couldn't help but smile as I sat across from a girl that reminds me so much of me from eleven years ago. She's so shiny and new. Full of theory and ideas and optimism and a binder of lesson plans that would make your head spin. They are wonderful and long and plentiful.

I met her at a coffee shop so we could meet before I walked into her classroom for the first time. On the way there, I remembered the nerves and the over-whelming moment you begin student teaching. It seems so very big. When I saw a young woman dressed in elaborately teacherish clothes sitting at a table with a binder, a notebook, and a wide-eyed look, I knew I had found my girl.

We chatted about why she wanted to teach, what she is really good at, and what she wants to grow in this semester. I was impressed, and mildly amused, and excited to see her in the classroom. I reminded her that I was not expecting perfection, and she visibly relaxed and nearly cried. She's going to be fine, and I'm glad I get to be a part of this circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment