Friday, August 24, 2012

Our Little Flyer

Meet our favorite member of Ms. Wright's Flyers:
The whole family headed to Open House last night, and Issa has already proclaimed Ms. Wright her "best teacher ever." I am pretty thrilled, too.

We were greeted by a huge poster of the Wright Brothers' plane and little "First in Flight" license plates with the kids' names on them outside the door. Issa was thrilled to find hers, and half skipped in the room to meet Ms. Wright. I hadn't even signed in before I saw Ms. Wright give her a hug and welcome her to the room.

As it turns out, Ms. Wright has been teaching first grade for quite a few years. She did student teach here, but that was a while ago. She showed Issa pictures of her grown children and chatted with Brad and I about returning home. She is so incredibly warm and friendly, and she is also a fan of Fancy Nancy. Issa is in love. She guided Issa to her place at a hexagonal table, where we found a whole packet of information that answered every single one of my questions. Her welcome letter addresses all the mom questions and makes it quite clear that the main goal this year is to develop a love of reading. My heart is happy.

We also got to meet Ms. Wilder, the assistant in Issa's room, who reminds me so much of my own mom my anxiety plummeted. Issa is in good hands with these two women.

Issa showed Daddy the library, and as we were walking out of the library to go to the cafeteria to sign up for the bus and get a t-shirt, I put my hand out towards Issa. She brushed it off, announcing she knew where she was going, just as "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" started to play in the background--I kid you not. I very nearly dissolved into a puddle right there and then.

I think our little Flyer already had a perfect take off, and I'm confident we are in for blue skies and great heights this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment