Thursday, August 9, 2012

Friends

Last night, Crystal, Shelby, and Tyler came over for dinner. Both daddies were working.

After dinner, Shelby and Issa danced off to play dress up and Barbies--the usual. I sat at the kitchen table with Crystal and spilled my soul. I'm tired. Brad's traveling a ton. The semester is starting before Issa is starting her school, which is a deadly combination. I am out of cope. She knows. She listened. She let me curse and cry and curse. She said all the right things, and she sent me a "hang in there" email this morning. I needed it.

What did my heart the most good was Evan and Tyler. My three year old adores this 15 year old. Tyler dutifully played baseball and trains. He chased Evan; Evan rolled with laughter. They wrestled and pounced. In short, they were boys. Poor Evan has been surrounded with girls a lot lately, and he needed this. Not once did Tyler say no or roll his eyes. Not once did he seem a bit frustrated or board, although I know he had to be. I am beyond grateful.

When you live a long way from family, you have to build a new support system--a safety net--a kind of family. I am so blessed to call these people mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment