Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hot Mess

I openly admit I can be a bit of a hot mess as a mama. I figure it's my right. Every once in while the tears just sneak up on me over the craziest little things, and yesterday was just one of those days.

Issa and I dropped Evan off at school and headed to the grocery store. It's been our Monday routine this summer, and it was a relatively short week. As we walked up and down the aisles, I mentioned that next week I would have to shop by myself because she would be at school! I glanced over, and she was beaming, pushing the cart all by herself. I no longer need to guide the cart around obstacles or help avoid collisions.

I felt the familiar sting in my eyes, and I caught myself biting my lip, willing the tears not to come. Issa chatted about her excitement, and I didn't want her to lose a little of that if I got teary. She's so empathetic, and I know she would worry about me next week if she thought I was sad and grocery shopping alone.

This summer hasn't always been bliss. There have been moments when I have been on the edge of insanity, but I wouldn't trade it. Our home has been filled with little girl giggles, flour messes, and extra snuggles. Next week, I send my baby to big school--real big school--and as excited as I am for her, I am also anxious and over-whelmed. So...I think I will enjoy this last week a little more and worry about Monday on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment