Friday, August 22, 2014

Cave Dwellers

The kids have been coming in to work with me this week. I love that I work in a place where I can do that. I tend to feel a bit frazzled trying to be Dr. Bower and Mom at the same time, but they really do well. As the week progressed, more and more stuff needed to come in with them. Yesterday, this happened:
My big conference table in under there, and they had a perfect cave. They stayed there all day. It was brilliant. At a couple points, a couple of my students even joined them. Issa made origami frogs for my class, and one of my students made her a swan. In short, it was a perfect day for them.

I loved having them there, and it is going to be too quiet next week. I love hearing them giggle or run in to show me something. I won't miss feeling pulled in two directions, but I will miss them.

The other hidden bonus: I think having them around really helped my freshmen. Many of them left little siblings or babysitting jobs, and many of them said it was nice to have some kids to talk to. I even heard a couple talking to Evan and Issa about missing home. Kids and puppies: very non-threatening. This may need to be a tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment