Monday, January 6, 2014

A Merry Christmas To All...

We're back, which means I'm back! We have had the most wonderful two weeks celebrating with family and then resettling back into our cozy home. This morning, we ventured back into reality with alarms and packing lunches and school and work. Oh my.

The highlights of our festivities....

The Saturday before Christmas, we celebrated Christmas with just our little family. Santa surprised us with an early visit during a practice run. He filled the stockings and left a note reminding us that he knew we would be at Nana and Papa's house Christmas morning. He must have heard that the kids loved Frozen because he brought their favorite characters:
I do need to remember to talk to Santa next year about perhaps not bringing toys that sing or talk the day before an 11 hour car ride.

We also gave the kids our gifts. I think Issa's face sums it up:
We gave them Nabis, which are tablets designed for kids. They had really wanted them, but they had also convinced themselves that there was no way we would get them. It was priceless!

Sunday, we headed North and spent Monday just enjoying being together. I love how our kids settle into Nana and Papa's house so quickly, and I love watching them play with some of my favorite childhood toys.

Christmas Eve, we ventured to Bluffton to see Granddaddy and Grandma Judy. It truly was a trek because a town on the way was flooded, and they didn't really feel the need to post a detour. Brad's Scout senses got us around, and it was totally worth it to spend the time together. Who would have thought a timer could capture such a moment:
Granddaddy's girls:
The way home was a bit more harrowing for our car. The kids road back with the rest of the crew, and Brad and I took a scenic tour of rural Ohio. I might have lost it at one point, and Brad might have made fun of me. But...we made it back in time to help make dinner and get ready to celebrate Christmas Eve.

After a lovely dinner, we popped the kids into a bath and new pajamas before we opened gifts. How is this for Christmas Eve excitement?
Oh, how this sums up my life:
This was apparently the year of "I never thought it would happen," for our kiddos. They had been begging for Stuffies, which Brad and I find ridiculous. Enter Aunt Beth and Uncle Nick:
Evan loves his turtle. He fills it with all his "guys."

Issa loves her pegasus:
She fills it with all her rainbow loom stuff.

And...two more Stuffies arrived at Grandma Pat's. It was just too much.

A rare great picture of Brad and I:
He brought that necklace back from India for me!

After a fabulous evening, the kids got ready for Santa:
Tree cakes for Santa and Mrs. Claus, baby carrots for the reindeer, and yellow sprinkles for Rudolph--we didn't ask for an explanation. Issa also left Rainbow Loom bracelets for Santa and Mrs. Claus.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care:
And sure enough, Saint Nicolas would soon be there:
Evan was no so enthused about the pictures before presents concept. In fact, he was kind of over pictures before the day began. (More on that later.)

Santa brought new bears in the tops of the stockings:
And this picture just melts my heart:
Finally, Evan set to opening his big box:
Santa did, indeed, bring a skateboard with flames, along with a helmet and pads.

Issa was also thrilled to find Saige under the tree:
The stockings held all kinds of treasure:
Including a way cool Spiderman!
Soon, we headed over to Aunt Carol and Uncle Todd's for the family Christmas. We only had three littles this year:
Molly and Colton were with their mom, and the Spurlock crew was home anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby Henry (who has since made his debut as one super adorable baby!). I would say these three kept up the pajama tradition well, though:
Aunt Shannon and her kiddos:
My girl:
And my boy--always in motion:
Aunt Carol and Uncle Todd gave each of the littles a scooter, which meant there was much zooming about the basement for the rest of the morning.

Saige became glued to Issa's side for the rest of Christmas:
The girls:
And a family picture debacle:
Did I mention Evan was over pictures? In a mothering low, I might have mentioned, "You have just made me very sad." Thankfully, I stopped short of, "You have ruined my Christmas." Aunt Shannon did declare I might be a bit overly dramatic about the situation.

Daddy carved the turkey:
And Tyler the Huge got to help this year:
And later that afternoon we managed to con Evan into one good family photo:
Brad insists he looks like he is trying to eat my head, but I think it's a great picture!

The rest of the week in Napoleon was spent just playing. Evan tried to master his skateboard:
If only there were walls on the driveway. Issa dressed Saige and did her hair. Legos were assembled with much help from Tyler and Becca, and we visited Grandma Luzny to play with the puppies.

Nana also had a fun craft for us. After the whole fairy jar disaster, I was nervous, but this one worked beautifully!

We filled cookie sheets with shaving cream and then dropped food coloring in:
It's the longest I've ever seen Evan stick with a craft project:
Once the drops were there, we swirled them through the shaving cream and then laid paper on top:
When you lift the paper, it leaves a beautiful pattern on the paper! It may become our new wrapping paper. Even Becca got in on the crafting:
We then headed slightly south to spend a week with Daddy's side of the family. We had a fabulous time, including going to see Frozen, celebrating Grandma Pat's birthday, cooking a Chinese feast with Papa Don, and teaching Issa how to use her new sewing machine! Unfortunately, I have nary a picture.

We came home on New Year's Day and settled back into our home. We had a fiesta with friends Friday, and Issa had dance practice Saturday. It was a very gentle introduction into reality, and now it's time to jump back in with both feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment