Thursday, January 9, 2014

Small Town Love

First and foremost: the babysitter interview moved to tomorrow.

So...I have mentioned I love living in a small town, and whenever possible we do business in our small town. When we moved to NC, we were looking for a small bank, and we found one that really worked with us and got us settled as real live grown-ups. They were eventually acquired by a slightly larger, regional bank, but they still have that small town feel. They are still costumer first, and they still work to make sure that we get the best service and services. This all became even more evident yesterday.

My debit card got hacked yesterday--oh, joy. It was a tiny charge, and I caught it while it was still pending. I called my bank, and they said they would totally take care of it but I needed to come in to sign some forms and prove I was me. No problem.

Yesterday afternoon, I walked into the bank, and I was told I would need to wait a few minutes. No problem. I settled in to check some email (thank goodness for smart phones), and in a few minutes an elderly lady walked out of the office I was about to walk into in tears. She sat next to me, and I asked if she was alright. In moments, the bank employee was at her side, also teary. Needless to say, I was so perplexed and by now the woman was holding my hand.

She started to tell me the whole story after saying, "You just have on of those faces that makes me want to tell you everything." (I get that a lot.)

As it turns out, she is a widow, and her pipes broke yesterday. Her son is snowed in where ever he lives, but he had talked her through all that she would need to do, including pulling money out of some accounts at the bank--even though that would cost her some penalties and such.

Not at our bank. They worked with her to get her the money. But that's not all. They helped her call a contractor they use to help with all of the repairs, and conference called her son to make sure he was on board. The relief on her face was so evident, and I was so grateful to get to witness a little more of the good in the world.

And...they already had my paperwork done and my card cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment