Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Old Maid

Sometimes, I forgot how important the simple things are. In the midst of homework and dinner and dishes I can get swept up in the just get through it phase of parenting. The I just need to get them in bed so we can start all this again tomorrow hurry. Efficiency reigns. Sure we have snuggles and lots of conversation, but the clock becomes the dictator.

When I get caught in that hurry, I'm especially glad to be married to a man that sometimes forgets there is a clock. It used to drive me crazy, but I'm learning to appreciate Brad-time. Last night after dinner, I was mentally starting the time to tuck checklist when Daddy consented to a rousing game of Old Maid, which is possibly my least favorite game--right up there with Candyland. I shot him the "you have to be kidding me look," and then settled in to watch them play.

As I watched, really watched, I couldn't help but care a little less about the clock. The giggles every time the Old Maid passed back and forth were priceless, and when Evan threw his head back laughing when he pulled her from Issa's hand, I was reminded that bed time could wait. These were memories, and we were all laughing--really laughing. The kids got to bed a little late, but they went to bed happy and loved. And at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment