Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Accidental Project

Every once in a while, maybe more than every once in a while, I hear things coming out of my mouth that I just can't fathom. Sometimes, they are those ridiculous parent-lines: "We don't poof pets or people" (with magic wands) or "Why are there guys in my shoes?" Other times, I vocalize ideas before I really think about it. This is one of them:
Our Christmas wrapping has become an art project for Issa and I. We love Thanksgiving, and we try to hold off on Christmas until December. That being said, we do some shopping and wrapping early so we can take some gifts up to Ohio at Thanksgiving. Otherwise, the packing in December is a nightmare and Scrooge makes an unwelcome appearance in our driveway.

So...yesterday, Issa and I started some wrapping:

I do the wrapping, and Issa decorates. She is in love with choosing just the right paper for the tree cut outs and gluing them in exactly the right places. We really nurture thoughtful giving, and this has been a great extension. It was one of the "yeah...we are getting this right" moments.


This morning, I read a quote that so excellently summarized my outlook on life right now:





Being intentional. That's what I want to model for my children. I intentionally stifle the desire to just get the dang wrapping paper on and live in the moment of decorating and talking about the recipient. I intentionally say no to a holiday party so we can enjoy the season without running around like lunatics and remember what it's really about. I intentionally leave the Christmas decorations in the attic so we remember Thanksgiving and count our blessings. I intentionally force every fiber of my being to be in the moment rather than running through the ever growing to do list in my head.


It doesn't always work, and sometimes there is fall out (as in seven loads of laundry on Sunday night--yikes). But...it's a daily goal I've been pursuing since I started this blog, and I must say, I've never been happier. So...bring on the accidental projects. What's a little glue among friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment