Friday, November 11, 2011

Blessed

No castle update and no glitter this morning. Instead, I'm still blissfully happy from a wonderful day yesterday.

After Issa's workshop, she and I got to hang out with Emu for the day. Emu is such a good friend to our whole family, and it was a perfect afternoon. Lunch, art galleries, and book shops. Does life get much better? When we picked Evan up, the kids came home and enjoyed a little chocolate and read some new books. (Emu loves books as much as we do.)
But...it is this girl that I am so proud of this morning:

Before we picked up Evan, Issa and I were looking through her new books, talking about how much she loved reading. It was a teachable moment. Her school is participating in a book harvest in a couple of weeks, and I asked if she would be willing to choose two books to donate. After a brief misunderstanding because she thought I was asking her to give away her brand new book, she asked why we needed to donate books. I explained that some children don't have any books and how very blessed we are. We talked about how we are asked to share our blessings, and she looked at me very seriously and said, "Two books." I nodded, although I misunderstood her tone.


Then, my generous big girl started sorting. When she was finished, she had 24 books she wants to donate. Two was not enough. Kids needed books. There were a few I swallowed hard on because I have such vivid memories of reading them to her, but we haven't read them in a long time. If she could share them, so could I. Yes...she is in fact one of our biggest blessings, and I so hope that the books find happy homes and another mother will have the same vivid memories of snuggling her little one and reading a little one Eric Carle.

No comments:

Post a Comment