Friday, March 16, 2012

But Mrs. Is Still My Favorite...

I am officially Dr. Heather Bower! The defense went incredibly well. I was a nervous wreck the day before, but yesterday I was really calm about the whole thing. I have lived this dissertation for two years, and I am actually very proud of it. Yesterday was just a high pressure day to talk about--almost anti-climatic in a way.

The actual defense went incredibly well. I had prepared for really tough questions, but there really weren't any. The whole thing was over in an hour and a half, and the edits I need to make are incredibly minor and actually very fun.

After the defense, Brad took me out for appetizers and beverages at a very swanky restaurant. I texted family and friends as I sat in a general haze. It all just felt so surreal. That's it. One little presentation and suddenly I had a doctorate. It's really the most bizarre process there is.

We left the restaurant and picked up the kids. Life got very real. Issa had wiped out shortly before we got there, scraping both knees, both palms, and one arm. She is my daughter. The worst part: she tore her leggings. The world almost ended. It was a nice reminder of what really matters and that nothing really changes. Once Issa was patched up, we headed out to dinner and had a great family night.

Today, this arrived:
An edible arrangement from my wonderful husband:

The celebratory bouquet of choice around here.


You see, through all of this, the past four years, the real work of the dissertation, the data explosions and qualitative quandaries, Brad has been my biggest cheerleader. He has listened, he has held me when I cried, celebrated when I finished every phase, and he sat through the entire defense, recording everything everyone said because he knew I wouldn't remember. I couldn't have done it without him. People may call me Doctor now, but my favorite title will always be Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment