Wednesday, March 7, 2012

On Children's Books

You don't really realize how dark some beloved favorites are until your own child starts reading them. (And beloved favorites is an overstatement. I really mean the books my children insist on checking out of the library often.)

Now that Issa is doing more of the reading, I'm more aware of the actual words. I realize I sound like I might finally have gone around the bend, but I am not crazy. I think because her reading is slow and deliberate, I really hear every word. The bigger picture of the forest is occasionally lost for the trees.

All of this is to say that we checked out There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly this week. Do you realize every page ends with, "Perhaps she'll die." Seriously! This is not a happy book. As Issa sounded out "perhaps," I sat in horror at the realization. She was unphased because she was reading, but perhaps we could come up with a better perhaps for this story.

When I sat down to write this, I was feeling very justified and horrified. As I am finishing, I am realizing--again--that I have issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment