Thursday, March 22, 2012

Life in the 'Burbs

Every once in a while, I have a good laugh at my own expense. You see...I live in the suburbs, and at some points, I find myself being "that mom." You know: the one who totally over-reacts to what can only be considered a first world problem. Oh yeah...I did that last night.

It was just the kids and I for dinner, so we were making our trek to McDonald's and their Playland. I am not really a fan of either, but the kids love it--more for the novelty than anything else. We only go when it's just the three of us, and it softens the blow of dinner without Dad.

Well...we pull in the parking lot, and I see the horrible words: "Lobby closed. Drive-thru only." Curses! Why did no one ask me if this was a convenient time to redo the restaurant? The kiddos had their little taste buddies all set for chicken nuggets, and they were ready to climb the highest tower. Crud! (Although those were not the words that were running through my head.)

I broke the news to two very disappointed kids and scrambled to come up with plan b. Got it! We'll take our Happy Meals to the big park, the one we never go to because parking is a pain in the neck. Oh no...my two decide they want to go to the brown park. So...we drive to the park in our neighborhood, park, and use the emergency blanket in the van as a picnic blanket. We were back on track. (It was at this point that I cracked up because clearly this is really no. big. deal. It was also at this point that I was sitting on the ground at the park literally laughing out loud at the absurdity of my evening and reaction.)

And really, this is what matters:
And yes...when the voice in the drive-up asked if we wanted to add any $1 McFlurries, I said we'll take three...and we ate them with dinner....and the sun still came up this morning. Miracles happen.

And Evan, well he decided it was more fun to stand to eat at the park:

Oh, well. I did draw the line when he asked if he could lick his spilled ice cream off the bench. Disgusting! Issa and I both screamed, "NO!" It must have been emphatic enough because he didn't even try.

And to add to the evening, McDonald's threw me one more curve ball:

Why do Happy Meal toys need assembly? And why does it take twenty minutes to put stickers A-P on a tiny little car? But I did it:

And the brown park never disappoints:

Issa loves walking the balance beams. The slide makes an awesome ramp for trucks, too:

And this smile:

And this smile:

Well...I'd say it was a perfect plan b...maybe even better than plan a.

No comments:

Post a Comment