Friday, March 11, 2011

Stink Trees

When I posted earlier this week that we would soon be able to smell the hyacinths as soon as we opened the door, I clearly forgot about these trees. They are stunning. The white blossoms herald spring, and they line the streets in our neighborhood. I like to think of them as our version of DC's cherry blossoms. Unfortunately, their smell is often stunning and not at all like cherry blossoms. They smell exactly like dead fish, earning them the title of stink trees around our house.

On the way home from school, Issa and I were talking about the trees, and I decided to use it as a teachable moment. I talked about how not everything that is beautiful is good, how we really need to look closely and learn all the facts. Whoever planted all of these trees probably didn't realize the neighborhood would smell like a fish market for weeks when they made the decision; they just thought about the visual appeal. I thought it was a great object lesson. Then, Issa responded, "But Mom, stinky things are always stinky. That's all you really need to know." Maybe we'll try that object lesson again another day. Stinky trumps beauty when you're four.

2 comments:

  1. We have those trees in our neighborhood as well. I always forget just how awful they are until they are in full bloom. The first time I get out of the car, I'm always surprised. They are beautiful, but you have to wonder why builders use them so much. :)

    -Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorrie, I am so glad we are not the only ones who wonder about the trees! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete