Wednesday, March 16, 2011

This is the point when...


This is the point where the dissertation blows up. Have no fear...I am in the process of putting it back together and I'm told it happens to everyone. Bottom line: very small sample size and mixed methods research equals dissertation nightmares. I am in the process of coming to grips with the reality that, although I will submit my dissertation this spring, I will probably not defend until next fall. (I wouldn't have walked until next May anyway, so this is really no big deal.)
I just wanted to capture the moment last night when I realized my dissertation blew up. Please notice a few key items:

1. The piles of survey data sorted by grade level (and then planning time, and then numerically, and then alphabetically--I was grasping at reason).

2. The toys everywhere! When Mom is in dissertation meltdown, the usual rules don't apply. Play with everything at once.

3. The shoe on the coffee table. A decoration was falling off and sparkles don't understand dissertation disasters; they must be repaired immediately. (It was a very easy repair thanks to my trusty glue gun.)

4. The glass of wine. (Really...does this need an explanation?)

5. The purse on the couch. I realized on the way home I had a problem. I went straight for the computer and the purse landed where it may.

6. The poor forlorn cat. There was no snugly lap for her last night.

I've had my good raging fit...and then a good cry...and now, as my refrigerator magnet reminds me, it's time to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. I have a plan; all will be well. I think I can I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment