Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm Not an Engineer

I am not an engineer; my husband is. However, yesterday I had to do a little engineering in the garden. Issa planted a tomato plant in this little basket this spring, and I swear the tag said it was a bush variety. Clearly, the tag lied. Until yesterday, this poor tomato was hanging to the ground and looking very sad. I suppose I was trying to will it into turning into a bush variety, but when that didn't work I decided I actually needed to do something.

I had a tomato cage, so I took it out to the pot. The cage was wider than the pot. Bummer. Thankfully, it is the kind where all the supports can snap off. So...I snapped them all off and shoved the three posts into the pot. Then I started putting connectors towards the top to make a cage. The only problem was the pot seemed a little tipsy. So...I used some of the connectors to attach it to the shepherd's hook.

It's not pretty, but it's functional! The plant looks much happier, too! That being said, I think I'll stick to the social sciences.

No comments:

Post a Comment